Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Last Summer of You and Me

...was HORRIBLE, IMHO. It is written by Ann Brashares. You may recognize that author's name as the woman who wrote The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series of teen novels. This was her first "attempt" (air quotes intentional) at writing an "adult" (again, air quotes intentional) novel.





Why didn't I like the book? Hmm... Well, the basic story is that there is this pair of early twentysomething sisters who summer with their parents on an island off New York City. The older sister's best friend on the island is this guy Paul, who secretly has a crush on the younger sister, who, ironically, has a crush on him back. But, it takes over 100 pages for the two to tell each other that they like each other. So juvenile. The thing that I felt was funny was that occasionally Brashares throws in a big word that I would have to look up in the dictionary for the definition, or have a character drop an "f-bomb" as if to say "oh yeah, I'm writing an adult novel".

Let's put it this way, when the highlighted reviews on the back of the book come from Cosmo and Entertainment Weekly magazines, you HAVE to know that you're not in for much substance.

All that said, I admit it. I voted for this book for our book club to read. So, if you read this blog, B, know that I don't blame you for the choice! ;)

Next up, Jane Eyre. I've started the book, but have realized that this is a challenging read. I'm not able to read this one while in bed. I have to be downstairs, under my Ott light, feet planted on the floor, sitting upright with a steady stream of caffiene going directly into my veins. The book is interesting, but challenging. This is one of those that I didn't have to read in high school, but have always wanted to try and tackle. I have to say, I feel really smart having it sit on my coffee table, if nothing else! :)

My bedtime book is back to being Wicked. Still odd, but is getting better. More on that to come when I finish it!

No comments: