Sunday, September 9, 2007

Racing for the Cure

Chris and I joined my work departmental team the "IT Pink Patrol" in the Susan G. Komen Race for the cure at Disney's Wide World of Sports. We participated in the 5K Walk/Run (of course we did the "walk", like WE would actually RUN a 5K - ha!). Our Pink Patrol was just shy of $11K, but we beat last year's donations, so that is pretty cool! Chris and I crossed the finishline at a speedy 1 hour, 9 minutes and 9 seconds. Hey, we FINSIHED, that's all that matters!

What really struck me was to read the back of many racer/walker's shirts. Cancer survivors wore pink shirts and pink ballcaps. They also had pink race numbers pinned to the front. On people's backs, they could wear a tag "I'm Racing In Memory of..." or "I'm Racing In Celebration of...".





I think the saddest was a very young girl I saw, maybe 8 years old, wearing a shirt and on her back it said I'm Racing In Memory of My Mommy". It broke my heart. But, then there were PLENTY of ladies who had on pink shirts and the tags on their backs read "I'm Racing In Celebration of ME!!!!". We also had a number of women on the Pink Patrol team who had pink race number tags. People who I never knew had gone through this. I have so much respect for them.

The Pink Patrol team all wore pink wigs. It was really cute.





There was a wig styling contest... Chris won first place, dinner for two at a Disney restaurant!



No comments: