Friday, October 16, 2009

Did I just grow?

So, while I was swimming last night, I had this thought... "I wonder if I'm REALLY 5'3"". I don't know why I thought it, but I did. The last time I was measured for height I was at my first endocrinologist's appointment (stupid thyroid). This was shortly after I had first moved to Florida. I moved to Florida on November 1, 2002. So, let's say this appointment happened in early 2003. I distinctly remember the nurse checking my weight AND height and not speaking EITHER of them aloud. The weight I could understand, but the height? She said it was a privacy thing. Ok, whatever. So, the number she wrote down was 5'3 1/4". This was no surprise to me, I've always known myself to be 5'3". So, when someone would ask me how tall I was, my answer was always "five foot, three inches (and if I was in a silly mood) AND A QUARTER! The quarter inch matters to us shorter folks!!"

I've always known myself to be 5'3".

When I came home from swimming last night, I asked Chris to measure me. We went over to the whiteboard on the wall, I took my shoes off, and Chris marked my height on the board. I went to get the tape measure, and to my surprise, the mark on the whiteboard fell ABOVE 5'3" (and 1/4")... a "lot" considering I'm 33 years old and haven't grown since about the 8th grade (maybe 7th grade?). The reading on the tape measure was almost at 5'4"! I mean, it was 5'3 15/16". Dude. Totally 5'4"!. Ok, ok, maybe it is just a funky way of measuring. Maybe we held the tape measure wrong.
Maybe I stood funny. Maybe the whiteboard somehow make the lines you draw on it higher than where you actually wrote it (NOT!). We took the measurement again with me standing against the refrigerator and he slid a flat metal tool over the top of my head and held it there. I stepped back and measured again. 5'3 15/16"!! Totally 5'4" rather than 5'3"!

We measured again this AM. You know, you're taller in the AM than you are in the PM, right? Anyway, this AM, I measured 5'4 1/4"!

I think it is official. I'm now 5'4".

This totally changes the game.

No comments: