Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fall garden prep

Well, the stinkin' deer ate all of those lovely begonias I planted in the spring/summer, so I'm trying something new. Marigolds. I'm hoping that the deer won't eat these. Apparently, the smell from them is enough to keep the deer from eating them, and we can plant marigolds year around here in Central Florida. I planted a bunch in the front yard today (along with many others things elsewhere throughout the yard).

Marigolds up close:




Front flower beds of marigolds:




Here's the side yard that I worked on a while ago. Everything is growing really well, and I added two small hibiscus plants today:




Close-ups of some of my hibiscus:






Newbie hibiscus just planted today:




My hydrangea in the side garden is looking really good!




The gardenia is doing well too, but no blooms since planting in the side yard. The plant has really picked up though, so hopefully we'll see some blooms in the next year.




The front yard also has eight crown of thorns plants near the house along the sidewalk:




Purple cone flowers in the side yard:




I planted five purple cone flowers in the side yard. I'm hoping for some more color over there!




All I really have left up front is to hopefully replace the hanging baskets that currently have begonias with mums. I love fall!

No comments: